GUNG HO CLUB
The Gung Ho Club was founded in 1948 by a group of eight Chinese teenagers seeking an alternative to the Chinatown YMCA, which at the time, was the only social and athletic facility in the Chinese community. Translated from Chinese, Gung Ho means ‘working together’.
The phrase was originally coined by Rewi Alley, a New Zealander who went to China in the 1920s and whose contribution to the country was later recognized when he became modern China's first honorary citizen. (
The Gung Ho Club was also inspired and named after a 1943 film entitled: ‘Gung Ho!’ Directed by: Ray Enright / Starring: Randolph Scott & Robert Mitchum